Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sri Lankan Journal - Entry #6

The pina colada was awful, but the tuna steak was excellent. Char-grilled and basted in a rich oinion sauce and served with crisp french fries and a small dish of teriyaki dipping sauce. I heeded the guidebook warnings about Third World eating and avoided the fresh greens garnishing the plate. Even if raw veggies themselves are okay, food preparers often wash salad makings in the local, contaminated water. Everybody here drinks cold H2O in two-liter bottles (see picture, previous blog). I also discovered the joys of a local beer called Lion Lager. Had one cold bottle late in the afternoon, then on the way home I stopped at a grocery store to stock up on cheese, bread, and a few liters of the Lion. Now this is getting to be my kind of spiritual retreat...

Spent the evening reading Deepak Chopra's book Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment. It's an historical novel and quite entertaining, but I'm thinking the Buddhists would likely be a little scandalized at the way young Siddartha is portrayed. Some good information mixed with historical fiction, nevertheless. I did not know Buddha's father had been such a warrior king, and that his goal for his son was to be ruler of the known world. How odd, the way one's aspirations for beloved children may come true in a manner wholly unpredictable to the parents. Good read.

I also spent a little time playing video games on my laptop, which adapts quite well to the 220 volt current here. Strange how playing a game I enjoyed back home gives me a feeling of comfort in this interesting yet profoundly diffferent land. For a quick instant my mind flashes on the irony--finding comfort by shooting cyber bad guys with a Buddhist peace center down the block.


Pushba and Karona came by to show me how to hook up the anti-mosquito incense dispenser. It seemed to help a little; I had fewer bug bites next morning. I ate a late breakfast at 7:30 AM local--God knows what time my body thinks it is. Bhante says I can stay in the Colombo area or go inland to Kandy, the second largest Sri Lankan city, located four hours away in the mountains. He emphasizes that the Tanmil Tigers have their stronghold far from that city, so the trip will be perfectly safe. He suggests I take another day to walk the beach and meditate first. He also recommends I buy some sunscreen, politely not mentioning my beet-red face from yesterday's exposure to the tropical sun.


I paused a little while to meditate in the lovely gardens of the Vishva, then ventured forth on foot to purchase a hat and sunscreen, after which I'll head to the beach. Deepak and Buddha are my companions. Tuna steak lunch awaits me. Three-wheel taxi rides will get me there. Little did I know what a wild street experience that would be...

More later.





No comments: