Monday, March 09, 2009

Sri Lankan Journal - Entry #5

[To begin reading from the first entry, scroll down.]
.
Table by the sea at La Voile Blanche, my favorite local hangout. .

.


If you look closely, at the bottom of the photo (left) you'll see the notebook from which these journal entries are being transcribed.

.The picture below is the Mount Lavinia Hotel.

.Bhante's driver, Sadath, took me to the fancy and expensive Mount Lavinia Hotel, originally built for the governor in the old days of British colonial rule. I checked it out and discovered it was sprawling, western, pricey, and crowded with European tourists. They charged money to access the beach, and you get a free day pass if you buy the Sunday brunch. It was Sunday, but I wasn't hungry yet. So, I found the lounge and ordered coffee from a bartender in white, then reclined in air conditioned comfort to sip strong java and the ocean below (see picture, above). After about an hour of Western decadence, I decided this was way too far the other direction, so I conned the bellhop into snagging a local three-wheel taxi and we putt-putted away toward the real beach where the locals hang out.

.The beach below and to the north of the fortress resort was full of locals--dark bodies playing in the gentle surf. I walked abouty 45 minutes past fishing boats and lingering tsunami damage. I took off my sandals and went ankle-deep wading along the crest of the incoming tide, then came back to a beachfront bar and grill called La Voile Blanche (pictured above). I am writing this now from the table in the picture while sipping on a pina colada (it's past noon!) and watching the locals play in the surf. Lunch later, probably a tuna steak with onion sauce and french fries. I wonder if I'll get a K-F-S or eat by hand? More later...

No comments: